Monday, November 14, 2011

Which is best: Short or Tall?

Monday, November 14, 2011
Really, which is better for girls?  Does even matter?  Many girls are so consumed about their heights and are being teased because they are one or the other.  (Remember teasing is a form of bullying.) In actuality, it doesn't matter what height anyone is as we are all individuals.  Children begin to learn the differences in height most when they begin in school. Do you remember the teacher saying "Line up from the shortest to the tallest". Always being the tallest kid in my class really hurt in that situation.  There really wasn't a reason for me to be upset, but as a young girl it pointed out that I was different, which girls need to know is okay.

Parents should reinforce that height is generally inherited genes from the parents. All kids go through growth spurts which at times could be a big difference or shift of who is taller or shorter. It is possible to grow as much as 4 inches during puberty.

The important thing that parents can do for their children is reinforce the are special just as they are.  As a parent, you would be the best to determine what helps your child.  When I was growing up, when someone called me tall, I learned to respond "Nope, I am average", think everyone was confused.  Later, I found a Tshirt that really reinforced my height and I was never was self conscious again.  The Tshirt said "Tall and Terrific"  The bottom line is everyone is perfect in his or her own way.

So, never forget to really help boost your child's self esteem.  Different doesn't equate to negativity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment